A credit memorandum is a negative invoice used when there is a difference in the customer's original order or billed amount that may cause the customer to be in deep debt. Making a Credit Memo should be real easy when someone has the knowledge on how to do so. Here is a list of steps to be done when making a credit memo sample:
1. First off, make sure to indicate the words “CREDIT MEMO” at the upper right side of the page to avoid getting the credit memo meaning as an invoice. After doing so, you can place the credit date just below it and underneath is a unique number assigned for the credit memo.
2. On the upper left side of the page, you are able to place your company logo and its slogan, if there is any. Below is the job and job description. In other cases, underneath the company logo is the business name and contact information of the sender of the credit memo. And opposite to that is to whom you are sending the credit memo. Included are the customer’s business name, address and contact information.
3. After indicating whom it is to be sent to, on the next portion, indicate the sales person, if there is any, the invoice number, order number and especially the payment term.
4. Next is, the detailed information must be enlisted in a table. Make a table to list down the quantity of each credited item in the first column, the item number in the second column, description of the item in the third column, unit price in the fourth column, and lastly the line total which is by multiplying the item’s prize with the quantity. Label the columns with an appropriate name.
5. Afterwards, calculate the total from the last column and write the total in at the bottom of the memo with a name ‘sub-total’. Then multiply the sub total with the sales tax and name the line ‘sales tax’. Lastly, add the sub total and sales tax then put it into the line you will label as ‘total’.
6. This step is optional. You can put comments or notes to the customer at the end of the credit memo template.
1. Remember that no two credit memos can have same running serial numbers. Each of it must have only one that is specifically released for every transaction; this is to maintain tracking of records.
2. You can include all the payment methods like credit card, cash on delivery or any other method also mention the date of payment and conditions for late payment and it must provide information on the condition and status of a customer relationship.
3. Make sure that the customer won’t have confusions on what the total amount is. Customizing a credit memo can be ideal but make sure that it would sacrifice the readability and credibility of the memo. One may opt out to use some color schemes for every related contents and a highlighting color for the totality.
4. A single Credit Memo must not be re-used or re-issued for every transaction must be unique from one another.