The procedure to write a job description is in fact moderately easy and simple but requires having a clear understanding of the job's duties and responsibilities. It is not as difficult as it seems and the following steps will help in creating a good job description template for use.
1. The job description template can be created using any text editor programs on your computer but, using Microsoft word will help in finishing the task perfectly.
2. Open a new document in Microsoft word and create a table. The first paragraph should include the job title, the department where the candidate will be working and the manager he will be reporting to. This section will give the applicant a clear idea of where the profession fits within the organization and whom he can expect to work with.
3. The next section provides details about the job function. Write the next paragraph and reserve space at the top to mention key role in one or two sentences.
4. Under the same paragraph create a table to list each and every responsibility and desired outcome of the job. This list will provide a broad description of the job and desired outcome from the applicant.
5. Create another paragraph below and provide it a heading, “Minimum qualifications”. Now make a list of qualifications required for the job. Minimum qualifications list can increase the efficiency in targeting competent candidates for a job.
6. Create the last paragraph and provide it a “Personal specification” heading. List all the essential skills and attributes separately. This list will provide an indication about the skills and attributes an applicant must possess in order to complete the job function smoothly.
7. Your job description is complete. Review all the items included and add or replace any element if necessary.
1. Before creating a job description you must consult with the senior officials and get an in depth knowledge about the job. This will help you include every aspect related to the specific job.
2. Remember the primary focus of a job description is to encourage competent candidates and discourage incompetent candidates. This will reduce the organization’s efforts to shortlist qualified applicants
3. It is not mandatory to mention the working conditions, but in case of many jobs it is necessary to mention it. This will assure the applicants regarding the working conditions and avoid confusion during the interview.
4. While writing the personal specification column you must remember that the skills are not the only thing that makes an applicant the right employee. The skills can be learned, but personal qualities required for the job can’t be learned.
5. There are lots of job description temples available, but it is not mandatory to exactly follow them you can modify it to fulfill your desired requirement.